1 sweet onion
4 garlic cloves
28 oz good canned tomatoes (diced or crushed is fine as long as it’s a good brand*)
8 oz vegetable juice
1 cup vegetable stock
2 tsp of olive oil
2 TBS Parmesan cheese (I highly recommending getting a block and grating it yourself vs buying already grated as that tends to contain non sticking agents and won’t melt as well into soup)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Instant Pot (you can also make this on the stove will just take a few hours)
Blender (Immersion is ideal)
- Chop onion. Dice garlic. Grate Parmesan.
- Turn on the saute function of the Instant Pot (IP) and add in oil then onions with a bit of salt and saute till transparent (keep on eye on it the IP can heat up and burn the onions real fast)
- Add garlic and saute for a minute then turn off IP.
- Add in tomatoes (with any juice), vegetable juice and vegetable stock and stir with a bit more salt.
- Pressure cook on high for 3 minutes, then natural release for at least 15 minutes (if you go till the pin drops it won’t hurt it).
- Open the top and throw in the basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. The basil will turn brown – it’s fine just hot.
- If you have an immersion blender stick it in the pot and blend till smooth. If not wait till it cools a bit and blend in a traditional blender.
- Taste and add salt as needed to really bring out the flavor.
- EAT (or freeze and eat later)