1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup flour (any kind)
2 cups half and half
2 cups chicken stock
3 cup(ish) broccoli (there is no way to get exactly 3 cups so just do your best)
1 cup(ish) carrots (same as broccoli)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 ounces sharp cheddar (buy in a block and grate)
Blender (any type)
- Dice the onion, cut the broccoli into bite size pieces (smaller cooks faster), and peel the carrots down to the core (the core is not as sweet so I throw that part out). You can also julienne the carrots but i find peeling way faster and they cook more evenly.
- Grate the cheese. NOTE:You want to grate the cheese vs buying already grated as pre-grated cheese contains preservatives like potato starch and natamycin, meant to keep the shreds from clumping together in the bag. That also means they don’t melt together as well when cooking. For this soup you want the cheese to melt really well.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter and saute the onions in it until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the half & half and chicken stock.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Test the largest broccoli and when that is soft its done.
- Add salt and pepper. You can leave the soup chunky (I do not do) or blend that whole thing (that’s what I do) or half and half. Just depends on what consistency you want.
- Return to low heat and add the cheese. If your heat is too high your soup can get grainy. Stir in the nutmeg.
- EAT! Good for about a week of leftovers.