2 red bell peppers (or 12 – 16 oz jarred roasted red peppers)
2-3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
1/2 – 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
1/4 – 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
To Roast The Peppers (if you are not using jarred)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Cut peppers into large chunks so you can lay them as flat as possible (see photo below – sorry about that but it’s hard to describe in words).
- Spread peppers out on baking pan and broil till skin on peppers is charred. (you might have to turn the pan once or twice to get the charring even)
- While they are still VERY hot put peppers in a bowl and cover with saran wrap for 10-15 min. This helps you to be able to peel the skin off the peppers or else it is pretty much impossible.
- Cool and peel.
Making the Pesto
- Add the red peppers, basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese into a food processor and starting at low speed then moving to high processes until you get a paste. I have found I need to scrape down the bowl at least once to get it all incorporated.
- Add in oil until you get a thick paste.
- Season with salt if you think it needs it. I have found the Parmesan cheese gives it enough salt for me, but it’s a personal preference.
- Taste to see if anything is too heavy in flavor and if it is mix a bit with a few more of the other ingredients.
- Eat as a dip or dressing on veggies, pasta, etc. Also refrigerates for at least a week if not two and I think the flavor improves overnight as it all jells together.
NOTE: You can also freeze, will just be a bit more watery when it unfreezes.